Tonight's study covered...
Domain and forest functional levels:
- 2000 mixed (compatible w/ NT 4.0)
- 2000 native (allows nested and universal security groups; SID history)
- 2003 (lets you rename domain controller)
- RID (relative IDs, required for new objects)
- PDC (syncs domain passwords and clocks)
- Infrastructure (object moves/renames and group membership)
- Domain Naming Master (ensures unique domain names in a forest)
- Schema Master (maintains the schema for a forest)
If you have multiple DCs in a domain, your global catalog server should not be the infrastructure master as well (causes infrastructure replication problems).
Active Directory Migration Tool:
- So cool. Lets you move users, groups, and computers from one domain to another.